Top 10 Universities For Education Majors
Do you want a career where you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of both children and adults? Then the teaching profession may be a great fit for you. You can become a high school teacher, a special education teacher, music teacher, corporate trainer, or any of the other job roles that are suited for those with a background in education. According to Payscale.com, your mid-career pay could be above $50,000. Here are a list of top universities where you can pursue an education major.
1) Texas A&M University, Texas – The university has a large undergraduate student population and is well-known for their teacher preparation programs. The college produces a number of teachers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math subjects.
2) Dallas Baptist University, Texas – The university was ranked first by the NCTQ in the 2014 Best Teacher Preparation Programs Review. It is an old institution that was founded more than 100 years ago. Coursework in teacher preparation programs include best practices in teaching, diagnosing and correcting reading difficulties, development of children etc.
3) Lipscomb University, Tennessee – Lipscomb is a private college which is more than a century old. It offers degrees in the area of secondary education. Special education interventionist K-8, pre K-3 licensure, interdisciplinary teaching etc. are some of the more specialized study options available here.
4) Fort Hays State University, Kansas – This is another century old institution which is highly ranked in secondary education as well as elementary education preparation programs. The programs combine theory with hands-on, real world application. Number of credit hours required will vary according the field of study you chose.
5) Vanderbilt University, Tennessee – The Peabody College of Education and Human Development of Vanderbilt University is one of the colleges featured in US News & World Report’s Best Education Schools of 2017. Many of the programs here are ranked among the best in all education schools in the country.
6) Harvard University, Massachusetts – HGSE or Harvard Graduate School of Education was founded 100 years ago. It offers a wide range of degrees and professional programs in education. The courses offered are focused heavily on leadership and practical aspects of teaching.
7) Johns Hopkins University, Maryland – The Johns Hopkins School of Education was established only in the year 2007, but it has become one of the best colleges in the country offering an education major, primarily because of the quality of the curriculum. The programs focus on education reform through teaching and research, as well as education for both children and adults.
8) Stanford University, California – Stanford’s Graduate School of Education was at the first spot in the 2017 US News & World Report Best Education Graduate Schools. The core values of the college include diversity in student population, promotion of social justice, and equality. Programs are offered in elementary and secondary education.
9) University of Wisconsin, Madison – The School of Education of University of Wisconsin has a rolling application deadline and requires full-time enrolment. It is one of the top colleges in the United States to offer courses in education. It has eight different graduate programs have been ranked among the top 10 by the US News & World Best Graduate Schools Report.
10) Columbia University, New York – The Teachers College of Columbia University ranks high among all the top education schools in the US. The coursework includes education policy, special education, educational psychology, secondary school education etc. among others.